scientist specialized in statistics / applied mathematics (20-01-8)/ PTB/Berlin
VACANCY No. 20-01-8
The Physikalisch-Technische Bundesanstalt (PTB) is the National Metrology Institute of the Federal Republic of Germany with scientific and technical service tasks. It furthers progress and reliability in metrology for society, the economy and science.
Department 8.4 "Mathematical Modelling and Data Analysis" of Division 8 is looking for a
specialized in statistics / applied mathematics
to join us as soon as possible. This position is available on the basis of a 2-year fixed-term contract. The remuneration will be paid with remuneration group 13 TVöD Bund. You will be employed at our Berlin site.
The position is part of a project funded by the German Research Foundation (DFG) that is carried out in collaboration with the Institute of Chemistry and Biochemistry at Freie Universität Berlin (FUB). The candidate will develop statistical methods applicable for nanoscale chemical mapping in the mid-infrared regime. The goal is to combine the prior knowledge available about the spectra of the chemical components with techniques from Bayesian compressed sensing to significantly speed up the measurements.
• Development and implementation of statistical methods for Bayesian compressed sensing under additional prior knowledge
• Cooperation with colleagues from FUB and assisting them in applying the developed methods for experimental data
• Elaborating publications and participating in conferences
• You have obtained a relevant university degree (German "Diplom" or Master's)
• You have well-founded experience in statistical data analysis
• You have experience in Bayesian statistics or compressed sensing
• You have an independent and well-structured working style
• You have excellent communication skills, and you are a team player
• You have a very good command of spoken and written English
• You are willing to travel within Germany and abroad within the scope of your assignment
For further information concerning this position, please contact:
Dr. Clemens Elster, phone: +49 (0)30 3481-7492, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or
Prof. Dr. Markus Bär, phone: +49 (0)30 3481-7687, e-mail: email@example.com
Click here to learn more about our working group 8.42
PTB promotes the professional equality of women and men and is thus especially interested in applications from women.
Within the scope of the official feasibilities, PTB offers flexible part-time work schemes in order to support in particular the compatibility of family and profession.
Disabled persons will be given priority if they have the same occupational aptitude.
Are you interested? Then we are looking forward to your application.
Please use our online application form (https://www.ptb.de/cms/en/about-us-careers/careers/bms-stellen.html)
or send us your application to the following postal address:
- Institut Berlin -
Reference No. 20-01-8
10587 Berlin Germany
Unfortunately, we cannot accept applications sent via e-mail.
The closing date for applications is 06 February 2020.