Scientist in Physics (Theory), Engineering or Applied Mathematics- PTB/Berlin
The Physikalisch-Technische Bundesanstalt (PTB) is the National Metrology Institute of the Federal Republic of Germany with scientific and technical service tasks. It furthers progress and reliability in metrology for society, the economy and science.
Department 8.4 "Mathematical Modelling and Data Analysis" of Division 8 is looking for a
Scientist in Physics (Theory), Engineering or Applied Mathematics
with a strong background in nonlinear dynamics and/or statistical physics to carry out research within project B5 on “Modelling and control of multiscale pattern formation and application to cardiac dynamics and active matter”. This position is initially limited to 2 years, a subsequent extension is possible. Depending on your personal qualifications, the remuneration can reach up to remuneration group 14 TVöD Bund. You will be employed at our Berlin site.
PTB Department 8.4 in general carries out mathematical research with strong connection to applications and metrology. More information can be found on http://www.ptb.de/cms/de/fachabteilungen/abt8/fb-84.html. In the present project, we will collaborate with mathematical and theoretical groups in CRC 910 (see http://www.itp.tu-berlin.de/sfb910/) as well as with experimental groups in biophysics and biomedical physics.
• Numerical simulations of coupled nonlinear partial differential equations
• Biophysical modelling of cardiac electrophysiology and/or biological active matter
• Application of methods of nonlinear dynamics with respect to pattern formation in spatially extended systems
• Data-driven modelling and analysis of complex dynamical patterns
• Development of control methods for spatially extended systems
• Active collaboration with other projects in CRC910 and with experimental partners
• You have obtained a relevant university degree (German "Diplom" or Master's) including a doctoral degree.
• You have a good track record of scientific publications.
• You are interested in the mathematical analysis and physical modeling of experiments.
• You have experience with numerical methods, e.g. in modelling cardiac electrophysiology.
• You have a passion for independent scientific work as well as for team work.
• You have a very good command of English and ability to present results convincingly in spoken and written language.
• You are willing to travel abroad as well as within Germany within the scope of your assignment.
For further information, please contact:
Prof. Markus Bär, Tel.: +49 (0)30 3481-7687, E-Mail: email@example.com.
Link to the Department
PTB promotes the professional equality of women and men and is thus especially interested in applications from women.
Within the scope of the official feasibilities, PTB offers flexible part-time work schemes in order to support in particular the compatibility of family and profession.
Disabled persons will be given priority if they have the same occupational aptitude.
Are you interested? Then we are looking forward to hearing from you.
Please use http://www.ptb.de/cms/ueber-uns-karriere/karriere/bms-stellen.html
or send us your application to the following postal address:
Reference number 19-64-8
Unfortunately, we cannot accept applications sent via e-mail.
The closing date for applications is 16 August 2019.