Postdoc-Stelle / Evolutionäre Theorie / Uni Freiburg
We are seeking a postdoctoral researcher to join the group of Dr. Jonathan Henshaw at the University of Freiburg in Germany (https://www.henshaw-lab.com/). We are a primarily theoretical lab working on a broad set of topics in evolutionary biology, with a particular focus on sexual selection and the evolution of mating systems and parental care.
The project will involve developing new methods to tease apart the causal structure of natural selection (e.g. separating sexual selection from other types of selection) and applying these methods to understanding the evolutionary mechanisms of sexual selection.
**Duration, start date, salary**
The position is funded for 3 years by the German Research Foundation. The start date is flexible but preference will be given to candidates who can start before the end of 2021. Salary is at the TV-L E13 100% level or higher, depending on previous experience (currently a minimum of €4074 per month before taxes and social security contributions).
Applicants must have:
- A PhD in biology, mathematics, statistics or another relevant discipline (applicants who will graduate soon are welcome to apply, but should have received their PhD officially before starting the position)
- Strong theoretical skills with relevance to evolutionary biology (e.g. quantitative genetics, game theory, adaptive dynamics)
- A record of excellent publications in peer-reviewed journals
- Excellent spoken and written English
Additionally, the following will be seen favourably:
- Previous postdoc experience
- Strong coding abilities (e.g. in R, Python or Mathematica)
- Research interests aligned with the project or the lab more generally
- Familiarity with modern approaches to modelling causal relationships (e.g. as pioneered by Judea Pearl)
**How to apply**
Applicants should send an email to Dr. Jonathan Henshaw (email@example.com) with the following:
- Cover letter indicating reasons for wanting to join the lab and outlining relevant skills and experience
- CV including full list of publications
- Contact details for two referees (it is not necessary to send reference letters)
The deadline for applications is 31 August 2021. However, applications submitted before this date will be considered as they arrive.
We welcome all candidates regardless of gender, sexual orientation, race, ethnic origin, religion, or disability. Both national and international applicants are encouraged.