PhD position in causal inference at BIPS
At the Leibniz Institute for Prevention Research and Epidemiology – BIPS we have an opening in the Department of Biometry and Data Management within the Research Group “Statistical Methods for Causal Inference” (Lead: Prof Dr Vanessa Didelez) for a Statistician / Biometrician -- Salary Scale 13 of the German public sector salary system (TV-L).
The position starts as early as possible (administrative clearance permitting). The contract is initially limited to 3 years, full time i.e. 39.2 hours/week. The position is generally suitable for part-time employment. The successful applicant will be expected to enroll as a PhD candidate on this project.
The successful applicant will work as member of a team on the project “Intelligent Digital Guidelines Editor” which is held jointly by BIPS, the Fraunhofer MEVIS and the University of Bremen. The aim of the project is to adapt and improve clinical decision guidelines with a particular focus on integrating evidence from different data sources (e.g. electronic health records) using causal inference and machine learning methods. We further plan to combine this with bias analyses and meta-analytic approaches.
• Development of advanced statistical theory and methods in the context of the above project, with focus on target trial emulation with electronic health records data
• Preparation of publications in academic journals and other dissemination of results
• Participation in the acquisition of research grants
• Support of the department’s teaching activities, including the co-supervision of students
• MSc Degree (or equivalent) in statistics, computer science, mathematics, epidemiology or related subjects
• Excellent background in statistical / data analytic methods with an interest in research into causal inference from observational data; prior experience in relevant areas is desirable
• Experience in publishing in international journals is desirable
• Experience with statistical programming in R or SAS or Stata
• Very good knowledge of English
• Ability to work independently and as a member of a team
• Affinity for interdisciplinary work, motivation, commitment, and scientific curiosity
The Leibniz Institute for Prevention Research and Epidemiology – BIPS is one of the most renowned epidemiological research institutes in Germany. It maintains close collaborations with various partners in Germany and abroad. We offer exciting research topics, highly motivated and collegial team of staff, good infrastructure, and close ties to a university environment. In October 2014, BIPS was distinguished for its measures promoting work-life balance. Disabled applicants with essentially equal professional and personal qualification will be given priority.
All enquiries to: Prof Dr Vanessa Didelez, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Additional information can be found on our homepage: https://www.bips-institut.de/en/home.html.
Please send your application with the usual documents (incl. list of publications and, if applicable, list of acquired third-party funding) quoting the reference number A21/ 22 by 30 September 2021 by e-mail as a single PDF file to: email@example.com.