doctoral candidate in statistics, mathematics, or a related field (19-95-8) - PTB/Berlin
VACANCY No. 19-95-8
The Physikalisch-Technische Bundesanstalt (PTB) is the National Metrology Institute of the Federal Republic of Germany with scientific and technical service tasks. It furthers progress and reliability in metrology for society, the economy and science.
Department 8.4 "Mathematical Modelling and Data Analysis" of Division 8 is looking for a
doctoral candidate in statistics, mathematics, or a related field
to join us as soon as possible. The position is available on the basis of a 3-year fixed-term contract. The renumeration will be in accordance with renumeration group 13 TVöD Bund (85 %). You will be employed at our Berlin site. The owner of this position is expected to spend two research periods spanning several months in Aachen.
You work on the PhD project "Bayesian sampling design for repeated reliability demonstration". Your aim is to develop statistical approaches which enable an efficient and flexible surveillance of the quality of populations of measuring instruments. For this purpose (sequential) sampling procedures will be augmented with additional, historical information. You successfully complete the doctoral curriculum at PTB and at the RWTH Aachen University, publish scientific articles and earn a doctorate.
• to advance Bayesian methods for experimental and adaptive designs
• to statistically model reliability functions and historical information
• to investigate the applicability of these methods e. g. in legal metrology
• to prepare scientific publications and presentations
• You have obtained a university degree (German Master’s or “Diplom”) in one of the disciplines mentioned above, preferably with knowledge in statistical methods
• You enjoy working scientifically and goal-oriented
• You are highly proficient in a programming language (e. g. R, Matlab, Python)
• You have a very good command of spoken and written English
• You have excellent communication skills - independent and in a team
• Willingness to expand your knowledge and commitment is required as much as the ability to well-structured work
• You are willing to spend two several months at the RWTH and to travel within Germany as well as abroad
Once hired, you will work in Working Group 8.42 “Data Analysis and Measurement Uncertainty” that develops and applies statistical methods for data analysis. Research in the group is often carried out in collaboration with experimentally oriented working groups at PTB, with industry or with external academic partners.
More information, also regarding research on sampling procedures in legal metrology, can be found at:
click here to learn more about our workgroup
click here to learn more about our department
For further information regarding this position, please contact:
Dr. Katy Klauenberg, phone: +49 0 30 3481-7614, e-Mail: katy.klauenberg(at)ptb.de
Dr. Clemens Elster, phone: +49 0 30 3481-7492, e-Mail: clemens.elster(at)ptb.de
Prof. Dr. Markus Bär, phone: +49 0 30 3481-7687, e-Mail: markus.baer(at)ptb.de
PTB promotes the professional equality of women and men and is thus especially interested in applications from women. Within the scope of the official feasibilities, PTB offers flexible part-time work schemes in order to support in particular the compatibility of family and profession.
Disabled persons will be given priority, if they have the same occupational aptitude.
Are you interested? Then we are looking forward to your application.
Please use our online application form https://www.ptb.de/cms/en/about-us-careers/careers/bms-stellen/bms-stelle.html?tx_jobmodul_pi1%5Bjob%5D=3018&tx_jobmodul_pi1%5BlistBackPid% 5D=11489&cHash=30def712dc3d7ce6f89db1ed4f1bbc81
or send your application to the following postal address:
- Institut Berlin -
Reference No. 19-95-8
Unfortunately, we cannot accept applications sent via e-mail.
The closing date for applications is 31 January 2020.