3 new professorships in Salzburg
Call for candidates for three § 99 (1) professorships within the initiative „Excellence in Digital Sciences and Interdisciplinary Technologies“ (EXDIGIT) at the University of Salzburg
GZ B 0005/1-2022
Paris Lodron University of Salzburg PLUS. Competence for tomorrow.
The Paris Lodron University Salzburg (PLUS) is an up-and-coming Austria University with outstanding achievements in research and teaching in the fields of (digital) humanities, life sciences, the sustainability of social processes, and the interlinkage between arts and sciences. With the four guiding themes “Art in Context”, “Development & Sustainability”, “Digital Life”, and “Health & Mind”, the PLUS offers researchers excellent inter- and transdisciplinary collaboration opportunities.
At the Paris Lodron University Salzburg, three professorships according to §99(1) UG 2002 are to be filled within the framework of the "Excellence in Digital Sciences and Interdisciplinary Technologies" Initiative (EXDIGIT) funded by the State of Salzburg. The call for applications does not have a narrow thematic focus, but is looking for personalities - especially outstanding young talents - who have achieved internationally renowned research results in one of the disciplines represented at the newly founded Faculty of Digital and Analytical Sciences (https://www.plus.ac.at/digital-and-analytical-sciences/?lang=en
Digital and Analytical Sciences
New Faculty "Digital and Analytical Sciences" of the University of Salzburg
) in the course of their career to date. It is essential to convincingly build a bridge between at least two of these disciplines or to another established subject at PLUS (https://www.plus.ac.at/?lang=en
Home | Paris Lodron Universität Salzburg
The PLUS offers 30 fields of study, which range from Theology and Law, to Natural Sciences and Cultural and Social Sciences. Here at the PLUS, there are almost 18,000 students completing Bachelor's, Master's and PhD programmes.
) and to demonstrate the potential for future-oriented and interdisciplinary networking.
Innovative impulses for the sustainable further development of the interdisciplinary interweaving of digital science topics contribute significantly to the strengthening of the location and the orientation of the faculty. The research activities should complement the existing working groups at PLUS, especially in the context of digital sciences, and set accents in applied research or application-oriented basic research. The person to be appointed will support and expand the existing research and teaching offerings at the faculty and at the location.
A Research College, which is also funded by the EXDIGIT initiative, will be associated with the bridge professorships. This consists of a still to be hired interdisciplinary group of scientific talents or post docs already visible in the scientific environment.
Applicants are expected to have prior experience with externally funded projects and interdisciplinary research collaborations; international experience in non-German speaking countries is welcomed. The position holder should also actively contribute to the research network in Salzburg, especially in the scientific ecosystem centered around the newly established Faculty of Digital and Analytical Sciences, and develop corresponding collaborations. The appointment is limited to 5 years. An interim evaluation is planned, in which the position holder should also present a concept of how the research topics and positions developed within the framework of EXDIGIT can be sustainably anchored at PLUS beyond the duration of the project.
Since the state's excellence project aims to create new interdisciplinary bridges, the selection of those to be appointed as well as the assignment to a department will be made by a central selection committee. In order to 2 | 2
ensure good collaboration among the three bridge professors to be selected, the selection process will include Lecture Days with interactive elements.
General requirements are:
• • A completed Austrian or equivalent foreign university education (doctorate) appropriate to the position.
• • A teaching license obtained at an Austrian university or an equivalent foreign teaching license (venia docendi, venia legendi) or a qualification considered to be of equal value.
• • Relevant, internationally recognised research at the highest level in one of the disciplines represented at the newly established Faculty of Digital and Analytical Sciences or at the Science City Itzling location
• • International network
• • Experience in the acquisition and administration of third-party funded projects and collaborative projects with international companies and/or research institutions
• • Pedagogical experience in didactics in higher education
• • Leadership and social skills
• • Willingness to participate in administrative activities and in university committees
• • Very good knowledge of English and willingness to acquire knowledge of German
• • Possibility of personal participation in the Lecture Days end of November/ beginning december 2022 on site in Salzburg
• • Application deadline: October 24, 2022
The position is limited to five years in full-time employment according to the provisions of § 99 para. 1 University Act 2002 and the Salaried Employees Act as well as the collective agreement for university employees/application group A1. Provision is made for the overpayment of the collective agreement minimum salary of € 5’437.70 gross (14 monthly salaries).
The University of Salzburg aims to increase the proportion of women on its staff and therefore expressly invites applications from qualified female candidates. In case of equal qualifications, women will be given priority. Persons with disabilities or chronic illnesses who meet the required qualification criteria are explicitly encouraged to apply.
Unfortunately, travel and accommodation expenses incurred on the admission procedure cannot be reimbursed.
Further information will be provided by Christoph Moosbauer by phone no. +43 664 6082272204 or via e-mail email@example.com.
Applications quoting the reference number of the job advertisement should be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org to the Rector of the University of Salzburg, Prof. Dr. med. Dr. h.c. Hendrik Lehnert including the following documents:
• • Description of teaching and research objectives
• • Curriculum vitae
• • List of DOIs of the 10 most relevant publications and patents
• • Details of held courses and supervised theses
• • Experience in acquiring external funding
• • Description of previous interdisciplinary collaborations